Keep your brain healthy
- Reduce or eliminate the risk of injury to your brain
- Eat a healthy diet - limit sugar, salt and alcohol; eat at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables each day; eat more cold water oily fish (or fish oil supplements)
- Monitor and control your blood pressure, blood sugar and weight
- Keep physically active - aim for 30 minutes of brisk exercise a day
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep each night
- Keep your mind active and keep learning new things
- Seek out new experiences
- Manage fatigue by planning ahead and using energy conservation/pacing techniques
- Take steps to reduce stress in your life such as using relaxation techniques, deep breathing, positive thinking, meditation/praying, visualisation, enjoying nature
- Find activities that give meaning and purpose to your life
- Develop and maintain a network of people who are supportive to you
- Look for ways to support others
Check out the Prevention Page if you want to learn more!
In this Section
The mission of Brainstreams.ca is provide 24/7 access to information and resources for the thousands of people who experience brain injury in BC and beyond each year.
We are actively seeking collaborators who share our vision to build Brainstreams.ca into a world-class online knowledge hub.
To explore partnership opportunities with Brainstreams.ca, contact Sarah Lowis at Sea to Sky Management at email@example.com.