Learn Section

E-News Button     Donate/Become a Member Button

Funding & Advocacy


There are many specialized rehab and support services in the community that are not paid for by the Government.  These are called "fee for service" which means they are not paid for by your regular medical plan. If you have an insurance plan some of these services may be paid for by your plan. Government funding is more limited.

Some of these services may include:

· Acupuncture
· Assisted Living/Care Homes/Residential Homes
· Behavioural Therapists
· Case Managers
· Chiropractors
· Driving Services
· Financial Advisers
· Kinesiologists
· Lawyers
· Life Skills Workers
· Massage Therapy
· Musical Therapists
· Neuropsychologists
· Nursing
· Occupational therapists
· Personal Care Attendants
· Physiatrists
· Physiotherapists
· Psychiatrists
· Recreation Therapists
· Rehab Yoga/Pilates
· Rehabilitation Assistants
· Social Workers
· Speech Language Pathologists
· Vocational Counselling

Skip to:


Insurance Funding Sources

If you have been hurt in a motor vehicle accident or at work, you may be eligible for funding through your insurance plan. This is often called "3rdparty funding".

ICBC – Autoplan

  • Review ICBC Injury Claims for information on accident benefits, settlement payment and the steps involved in claims.
  • You may choose to hire a lawyer, who has experience with ICBC accident claims, to represent you. 
  • You might be asked to have many evaluations from different health care specialists to support your claim.
  • Depending on the severity of your injury, your claim and accident benefits might be managed by a Claims Adjustor or a Rehabilitation Coordinator from the ICBC Rehab Department.

Accident Benefits

  • The "No-Fault" Accident Benefit, often called "Part 7", is a compulsory part of Autoplan coverage. In other words, no matter who causes the accident  Autoplan pays accident benefits to all injured people in the vehicle.  The vehicle must be licensed and insured in British Columbia.
  • Accident benefit payments apply to any cyclist or pedestrian who is hurt by a vehicle that is insured in British Columbia, as long as the accident occurs within Canada.
  • The maximum amount of funding through "Part 7" for medical and rehabilitation expenses is $150,000 per accident. Someone who has a job at the time of the accident, can also claim up to a $300 per week for the period of total disability.

Settlement Payments (tort compensation)

  • Compensation from the person who is at fault for the injury (i.e. who caused the accident)
  • The goal of tort compensation is to put the injured person as close as possible to their pre injury position through financial compensation
  • This process can take a long time and you may have to go to court.


  •  After a work-related injury or illness, the worker, employer, and the worker's doctor must report the injury or illness to WorkSafeBC
  • Review WorkSafeBC Claims for information on how to start the claim process. Also look at Rehabilitation and Return to Work and Services for Seriously Injured Workers
  • If you had a serious injury a team of psychologists, case managers, medical specialists, and mental health support staff will assess your needs.  Their role is to make sure that you have the support and resources needed to live an independent life. 

Work Place Insurance

(e.g. Blue Cross, Sun Life)

  • Contact your plan directly for details of what is covered

Long Term or Short Term Disability Benefits

  • A form of income support related to a job and provided through an insurance company.
  • Long-term disability (LTD) often involves two years of benefits while you cannot do your usual job.  This is followed by an evaluation of your longer-term ability to do any paid job.
  • Check with the insurance company's Case Manager or Specialist about your plan. If you are able to go back to work, help might be available through a vocational rehab department.

Extended Health Benefits

  • Pays for a variety of services and supplies depending on your specific plan.
  • For example, some extended benefits pay for a private hospital room, ambulance, medicine, practitioners (e.g. physiotherapist, podiatrist), medical supplies, medical equipment (e.g. hospital bed, wheelchair), vision care

back to top


Government Funding Sources

After your brain injury, you may be eligible to receive income from the following sources:

EI Sickness Benefits

  • Apply at a Service Canada Centre or online. For those who qualify, Service Canada provides EI Sickness benefits for 15 weeks

Persons with Disabilities Benefits

CPP Disability Benefits

  • Supports severely impaired individuals (other financial assets are not a barrier)
  • Allows earnings of about $4700 and possibly more per year
  • Provides Vocational Rehab services for those who qualify for return to work
  • Application forms are available at a Service Canada Centre or on-line

If you got your injury as a result of a crime (i.e. an assault) then support is available through the Crime Victim Assistance Program:

Crime Victim Assistance Program (CVAP)

  • A financial benefits program to assist victims, immediate family members, and witnesses in dealing with the effects of violent crime
  • Helps offset financial loss and helps with the recovery from injury
  • Go to the web site for specific information on financial assistance, available benefits and how to apply

< back to top



Sometimes it can be a challenge to understand all the different insurance and government plans, and to find your way through the system.  You can get help from:


Legal Counsel

To ensure that brain injury survivors have the best chance to explore funding options and, if possible access funding, it is important that they seek qualified legal assistance at the earliest possible time. Lawyers who specialize in brain injury cases are often the only route to accessing funding for the necessary private professional services.  

Go to the section on Legal Counsel and a Guide to reviewing legal counsel >> 

A project of:


Project launch made possible by:

  BC Neurotrauma Fund via

Rick Hansen Foundation, BC Neurotrauma Fund

        See who supports Brainstreams.ca


We acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia. 

Brainstreams.ca is an online education and networking site for the Brain Injury Community in B.C. and beyond.

The material on this web site is provided for educational purposes only, and is not to be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.